SiteGround is one of the WP Engine alternatives. It is a bit different from other web hosting services. Same as other premium WordPress hosting services like Kinsta, SiteGround uses its own control panel to manage your website instead of using existing control panels such as cPanel or Plesk. The control panel of SiteGround also comes with features like app manager, file manager, database manager, and so on. However, since the interface is completely different from cPanel and Plesk, you might a bit confused to use it. This post will show you how to install WordPress on SiteGround with its new control panel.
Step 1: Add your new domain to SiteGround
You can skip this step if bought your domain from SiteGround. You only need to add a domain to SiteGround if you bought a domain from other provider.
Login to the SiteGround dashboard using your account. Once logged in, click the Wesbites menu.
Click the NEW WEBSITE button on the upper-right corner to add your new website.
Select the Existing Domain option, enter your domain name (i.e yourdomain.com) and click the CONTINUE button.
You will be warned that the domain you entered is not registered in your SiteGround account and you need to make sure that you have the access to the domain you entered to update the DNS setting later. Click the CONTINUE button.
On the next step, you will be asked whether to start a new website or migrate a website. We will install WordPress on step 2 later below so you can skip by clicking the SKIP & CREATE EMPTY SITE button.
Click the FINISH button on the next page.
Step 2: Install WordPress
Click the Websites menu on the SiteGround dashboard. Select a website you want to install WordPress to and click the SITE TOOLS button.
Click WORDPRESS on the left panel and select Install & Manage. You can choose whether to install WordPress only or with WooCommerce. Select your option and the application setup form will appear afterward.
On the application setup form, set your preferred language, installation path, username, email address and password. Click the INSTALL button to start the installation process.
Here are some parameters you need to know:
- Installation Path: The path of the root directory of your WordPress installation. You can leave it to default to make your website can be accessed directly via your domain name (ie.e yourdomain.com). Or, if you want your website to be accessed via an additional folder (yourdomain.com/folder), you can choose a folder you like.
- Language: The language of your WordPress dashboard.
- Install with WordPress Starter: SiteGround has some suggested plugins (Elementor and SG Optimizer) you can install on your new WordPress site. You can uncheck this option if you don’t want to install any plugin first. You can install plugins later once WordPress is installed.
- Username: The username you will use to login to login to the WordPress dashboard.
- Email: This email address will be used as the administrative email (account confirmation, password reset, and so on) for your WordPress account.
- Password: The password you will use to login to your WordPress dashboard.
Wait a moment until SiteGround is done installing WordPress. Once the installation process is done, you can select whether you want to login to your WordPress dashboard or view your site.
You have done installing a new WordPress on your SiteGround account but your website cannot be accessed yet until you update the DNS of your domain (if your domain is not on SiteGround).
To find out the SiteGround DNS, you can go to the main dashboard of your website. You can find the DNS on the IP and Name Servers section.
Are looking for a SiteGround alternative? Some of our recommendations are Kinsta, Rocket.net and Pressidium.